Thursday, February 19, 2009

If you ever wanted to know why I'm a Skirt...

I'm sick of the bro club, and I don't want to play.

I don't need to be overtly sexual in order to garner male attention. My male attention comes in the form of people with penises who actually enjoy my fully-clothed company. Is there anything wrong with someone viewing me as attractive? Fuck no! Actually, I love to hear about it when it does happen, but my point is that I don't need to wear sex on my sleeve 24/7, especially when I'm doing the things that I love such as playing music and riding my bike. I feel like these Playboy standards of beauty are leeching into the subcultures and scenes that I circulate in and these boys are acting no different then the Pi Kappa Alphas I went to college with. Where have all the enlightened, educated, and most importantly SOCIALLY AWARE men gone?

Maybe it's a maturity level. Maybe that's just what happens when you have certain levels of testosterone in a group. Maybe I'm just making excuses for petty behavior. Regardless, my femininity or lack thereof should not make me feel better or worse than anyone. Nor should it make any other woman feel that way.

I can't wait to live in a world where this is a non-issue. Too bad I'll never see it in my lifetime.


If you've got something to say feel free to discuss in the comments below.

3 comments:

Silver said...

i couldn't agree with you more..

i have enjoyed visiting you today and like your frankness in your thoughts.

smiles,

Silver
from Reflections / One Day at a Time

anit said...

Ok, I don't understaned why you would complain about "overtly sexual attention". I looked up some of what "The Skirts" do, it seems that when you ride your bike or when you skirts "ride", you almost look for some sort of male attention. Maybe I'm gettin the wrong idea here and maybe it's just acceptence you're seeking and sometimes it comes hand in hand when your'e a female. You try to be all cute, make said things to sell at these races which are mostly male dominated. But, don't expect women to be seen as objects?

On the other hand, aren't you guys putting out a calender soon? With that being said, I'm sure isn't going to be portraying you exactly the way you are. It will have some sexual undertones. Sex sells honey, sex is all around and I'm sorry if you're not comfortable and don't accept the fact that women will always be viewed in that light. It seems hypocrital, you play music in an all girl band, you're on an "all girls cycling team" but don't expect to be viewed as sex objects. I just don't see the point in complaining about it and parading your feminist views around.

rabid said...

wow heyyouz, that second paragraph has contradictions all over the place. any point you were trying to make in the first paragraph (skirts arent feminist enough) was completely nullified by the misogynist gibberish in the second (women will always be sex objects; all all-women groups, calenders, etc. are seeking attention and acceptance from men). and ending by knocking someone down by insulting her feminism as being too strong after making the argument that it is too weak. you also addressed an all womens group as "you *guys*."

socially aware men are out there, invisible. they may be harder to find in tampa bay than in some other cities. particularly in the comparatively high amount of broing out in the bike community here. how many of those bros drive their cars to bike rides? point is the bike scene here is just hip and lacking substance. most kids riding fixed here do it cause hipsters in brooklyn are doing it. when they are not hanging out with their bike bros they are driving a car everywhere -hence, not socially aware in car vs. bike culture = probably not aware of womens issues either. the guys your looking for are the ones who rode bikes before it was cool and the ones who will still be riding after the fad dies.

5-10 years ago we were complaining about people driving gas guzzling suvs cause it was the cool thing to do, and we were wishing the day would come when it would be cool to ride a bike. now that that time is here we have to accept that not everyone on a bike really loves cycling or loves the earth or respects women, but at least there are that many fewer assholes trying to run us over with their h2s.